“David Furlong is refreshingly natural as Garcin. There is minimal artifice as he drifts seamlessly between friendly and creep”
(HUIS CLOS, 2010)”‘Furlong is superb. He embodies Molière’s Sganarelle perfectly and the writer’s comedy is expressed brilliantly through his performance.’
(THE DOCTOR IN SPITE OF HIMSELF, 2016)
David Furlong is from Mauritius and grew up speaking both English and French. He trained in France at the prestigious National Theatre where he also worked with international directors including Deborah Warner and Hans Peter Cloos. Totally bilingual, he’s an experienced actor on stage (Lead role in Montserrat (Paris), and Orestes in The Flies (London), among others, as well as on screen. He works both in Paris and London in French and English (with or without accent) and also runs Exchange Theatre for which he also directs, writes and teaches drama. He was resident director at the French Institute for two years.
CV and showreel : http://www.spotlight.com/interactive/cv/9495-1272-0541
- 2016 Macbeth Macbeth Dir by Julien Balageas .
- 2016 The Doctor in Spite of Himself Sganarelle Dir by David Furlong.
Exchange Theatre / Drayton Arms Theatre
- 2015 Sous la Varangue Ashwin/Ashique Dir by Christophe Botti .
Compagnie Hommes Papillons/ Vingtieme Theatre/ Musee des Confluences
- 2015 Et toi, Ismene ? Polynice/Etéocle Dir by Nathalie Adam.
Chemistry Theatre/ Exchange Theatre/ Voila festival @ the Cockpit theatre.
- 2014 Tempete Sittal Dir by Muriel Sapinho and collective devising by the company.
Compagnie Gerard Gerard/ International Street Theatre Festival Aurillac ECLAT
- 2013 Un air de famille by Jaoui/Bacri Philippe Dir by Emilie Perraudeau.
Exchange Theatre / Art Fabric/ The Drayton Theatre
- 2012 Around Jules Vernes in 80 minutes David Co dir and devised with Alex Kanefsky
- 2011 L’avare by MOLIERE Valere Dir by David Cottis
Baron’s Court Theatre/ Something Wicked Theatre
- 2010 Huis Clos (In Camera/No Exit) by JPSARTRE Garcin Dir by Gigi Robarts
Baron’s Court Theatre/ Something Wicked Theatre
- 2010 The Engineer of Chelm by Rebecca Nesvet Pilatre de Roziers Dir by Joel Stanley
Merkavah Theatre/ Jewish Museum
- 2010 Square(d) by D.Furlong Francis Dir by Francesca Seeley
New Wimbledon Studio/ Echange Theatre
- 2009 A House Bath (Un bain de ménage) by Feydeau Catulle Dir by Gael Colin
Brockley Jack Theatre/Echange Theatre
- 2009 The Flies (Les Mouches) by Jean-Paul Sartre Orestes Kevin Rowntree
Camden People’s theatre/ Echange Theatre/ Myriad productions/ Londres
- 2009 Medea by Euripides Ageus Dir by Jodi De Souza
- 2009 Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare Tybalt Dir by Muriel Sapinho
Compagnie Gerard Gerard/Theatre National de Chaillot/ Estivales of Perpignan
- 2008 Madame’s Late Mother (Feu,La mere de Madame) by Feydeau Lucien Dir by Samuel Miller
Rosemary Branch Theatre/ Echange Theatre/ Londres
- 2008 Love’s labours lost by Shakespeare Boyet Dir by Knight Mantell
The curious room/ Brockwell Park
- 2007 The Rover by Aphra Behn Don Pedro Dir by Natasha Dawn
Tabard Theatre/ Hunter productions/ Festival International D’Edimbourg
- 2006 Red Oleander by Rabindranath Tagore Phagulal Dir by Kevin Rowntree
Camden’s People Theatre/ Myriad productions/ Londres
- 2005 Julius Caesar by Shakespeare Crowd Dir by Deborah Warner
Theatre National de Chaillot/ Barbican Theatre/Paris
- 2005 Mr Kolpert by David Gieselman Mr Kolpert Dir by Hans-Peter Cloos
Yanka / Theatre National de Chaillot/ Vingtieme Theatre/Paris
- 2004 Montserrat by Emmanuel Robles Montserrat Dir by Pierre Sourdive
Théâtre de L’Equipe/ Theatre du Chevaleret/ Paris
- 2004 Tatouages by Dea Loher Wolfgang Massu, The Father Dir by Hans-Peter Cloos
Theatre National de Chaillot /Théâtre Ouvert/ Paris
- 2003 La puce a l’oreille by Georges Feydeau Camille Dir by Pierre Sourdive
Theatre de L’Equipe/ Theatre du chevaleret/ Paris
- 2003 Histoire/Operette by Witold Gombrowicz Pilsdulsky Dir by Azize Kabouche
Theatre de la Danse/ Atelier du chemin
- 2003 Dom Juan by Moliere Dom Carlos Dir by Pierre Sourdive
Theatre du Chevaleret/ Compagnie theatre de l’Equipe
- 2003 Le Gouffre by Yanka L’homme perché Dir by Michel Lopez and devised by the company.
Yanka/ Theatre National de Chaillot/ Espace Kiron
- 2002 Jacques le fataliste et son maitre by Diderot Jacques le fataliste Dir by Philippe Bouclet
Theatre aux Chandelles/ Abbaye de Fontevraud
- 2001 Douze hommes en colere by Reginald Rose Jury n*5 Dir by Frederic Bouchet
Theatre des Salinieres/ Bordeaux
- 2001 Hamlet by Shakespeare Guildenstern J-Albert Canques
Theatre de la Lucarne/ Groupe 33/ Bordeaux
- 2000 L’Avare de Moliere Cléante Michel Théboeuf
Theatre de La Pergola/ Ville de Bordeaux
46 Oxford Drive, Magdalen Street, London SE12FB
Uk: +44 (0)787 5295 917 email@example.com
2005-today Ongoing Training. YV Genesis network member. Living Pictures. Barbican Pit Lab.
2001-2004 National Theatre of Chaillot, Paris. 3 Years acting (BA Hons)
1998-2000 Performing arts degree/ Bordeaux University
1998 Mauritius – French Baccalaureat
2016 The doctor in Spite of Himself by Moliere Lycee Francais Charles de G. / Exchange Theatre
2015 House of Bernarda Alba by Rona Munro Arts Educationnal Drama School
2013 I live with Freddie Mercury by Thierry Margot Cafe Theatre des Chartrons / Bordeaux
2012 Scrouge adapted after Charles Dickens French Institute in London / Exchange Theatre
2012 Le fil a la Patte by Georges Feydeau Lion and Unicorn Theatre / Exchange Theatre
2012 Clocks ! Around Jules Vernes in 80 minutes Lion and Unicorn Theatre / Exchange Theatre
2011 Lady Mac Wata by Magali Ngongon Ngege Lion and Unicorn Theatre / Exchange Theatre
2011 Le deuil sied a Electre by Eugene O’Neill Lion and Unicorn Theatre / Echange Theatre
2011 Saturday French Tales residency 12 shows French Institute in London / Exchange Theatre
2009 The Flies by Jean-Paul Sartre Camden People’s Theatre / Exchange Theatre
2008 Bal Trap by Xavier Durringer Stoked Festival / Exchange Theatre
2007 Business by David Furlong Pleasance Theatre / Medialex / Exchange Theatre
2006 L’echange by Paul Claudel Hackney Empire / Jermyn St. Theatre / Exchange
2015 Der Schauspieldirektor Directed by JM Curti Opera by Mozart Geneva’s Opera studio
2014 L’histoire du Soldat Directed by JM Curti. Opera by Stravinsky/Ramuz Geneva’s Opera studio
2011 The Changeling Directed by Joe Hill Gibbins. Play by Middleton and Rowley
Translations from French to English for EXCHANGE THEATRE :
The Exchange by Paul Claudel, (with Fanny Dulin)
Bal Trap by Xavier Durringer (with Fanny Dulin and Exchange Theatre)
Madame’s Late Mother and A House Bath by Feydeau(with Fanny Dulin)
Ruy Blas by Victor Hugo
Montserrat by Emmanuel Robles.
Translations from English to French:
Explicit Polaroids and Handbag by Mark Ravenhill,
In the season of the night by Rupert Graves.
Since 2007 ongoing: Le Workshop : amateur course for French people living in London, twice a week London.
Since 2007 : L’atelier : drama and language classes in English schools.
2015: Arts Educational acting foundation courses.
LINKS INTERVIEWS and CONTRIBUTIONS
– Oustide of English theatre, do we know our roots? D&D report, September 2016
– My name is David Furlong, Devoted and Disgruntled report post-Brexit, August 2016
– This Week London interview, June 2016 ENG
– London Macadam interview, June 2016 FR
– MBC Tv show, October 2015.
– Week End, supplement culturel, October 2015
– Le Petit journal de Londres, entretien, January 2011
– Talk at Equity Branch Swiss Cottage about Translation, December 2009
– Le Mauricien, Cultural supplement, interview of David Furlong by Norbert Louis. March 2009
– Feature of David Furlong in Ici-Londres, October 2010
– Firefly performing arts magazine in Ben Cooper’s article on “translation” October 2009
– Paul Claudel Review, interview of David Furlong by Michael Donley. July 2006